As a resident or newly practicing orthodontist, new and younger members [(NYM) classified as 10 years or less after graduating residency] face unique challenges in the early stages of their career. What benefits does PCSO & the AAO offer NYMs?
- Leadership: GET INVOLVED! The PCSO values involvement from our NYMs. We have opportunities available on every committee and task force for NYM participation. In addition, we have a dedicated seat on the PCSO delegation for a NYM and elect a NYM director-at-large to the board of directors. We want you to find your niche with the PCSO. Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advocacy & legal support: the PCSO supports the state/province and national organizations to ensure that members are aware of challenges facing the specialty. The AAO’s component legal support fund offers financial support, as well as feet on the ground in some cases, to local societies to assist in their fight to preserve your practice environment. Through your affiliation with the PCSO, you can also access the AAO’s new member legal starter kit, (https://www1.aaoinfo.org/legal-advocacy/new-member-legal-starter-kit/) contract guide, sample agreements, releases, waivers, and business podcasts.
- Continuing education: at the regional, state/province, or national level, there are a multitude of CE opportunities available to you. You won’t have to look, or go, far in many cases to get high quality clinical and business-themed lectures.
- Networking: the PCSO has two meetings each year for you network with colleagues from around the region. At the annual session each year, there is also a NYM networking event and oftentimes an alumni reception as well to meet up with classmates.
- Insurance: the AAO Insurance Company offers professional liability coverage for members (https://aaoic.com/aao-professional-liability-insurance) with tremendous savings. The program was created by and for orthodontists and offers claims review by a committee of experienced orthodontists.
- Promotional Materials: there are all sorts of patient education materials available through the AAO in addition to practice marketing resources. The PCSO also has an orthodontic team member brochure.
- Subscriptions: you receive access to the quarterly PCSO Bulletin as well as the monthly NewsWire update plus AAO publications.
- Risk Management Services: there are a variety of resources available on topics such as handling office accidents and malpractice exposure. https://www1.aaoinfo.org/legal-advocacy/risk-management/